Friday, 18 January 2013

Ju-87B update 18/01/13

The decals are now on so the next job will be to apply a weathered winter finish;

One thing I will have to do is to VERY carefully overspray the sharkmouth decals as the edges are rather sharp and well defined whereas I feel on the real aircraft this would have been sprayed, also it will better match the white paint I'll be using;

I was'nt sure where the yellow code letter 'G' was suppose to be placed on the starboard fuselage so I've put it next to the yellow ID band. I was'nt there in 1943 so there! :o)

Sunday, 13 January 2013

Ju-87B update 13/01/13

Hmmm......just tried spraying Tamiya X-22 Clear varnish and the stuff started frosting. I thought I'd nailed this problem...not good.

Edit; Well I managed to get the X-22 Clear varnish on using a Badger 200 rather than the Iwata CR although I was still getting some frosting. Next time I'll add some acrylic retardent but the Badger 200 seemed to help. Also I was spraying that much I set off the smoke detector LOL. Oops! :o)

Wednesday, 9 January 2013

H/gawa 1/48 Ju-87B update

I spent most of yesterday evening masking off the undersides to prepare it for the top side colour which from previous experience takes me a good couple of hours. Anyway I started spraying the lighter green after the other half had gone to bed (I'm working night shift this week so I stay up VERY late the night before) and basically I was done in under an hour. Wow!
So after a bit of a think I thought I'd risk masking off the model for the darker green and fortunately I got it all done AND sprayed by Unbelievable! (for me anyway). Here's where it was at 02.00am with the camo pattern masked;

And what I ended up with at 04.00;

It just needs a yellow ID band around the fuselage (and maybe under the wingtips) and then a coat of gloss for the decals. Once these are on I can start applying the winter white finish which will be done using either hairspray or the new Mig stuff.

Monday, 7 January 2013

First one for the new year

Work has been progressing on the Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C, so much so it's not far away from the painting stage. I did mean to post some WIP pictures but completely forgot so here's where it is so far;
 Yes that is my bench and yes it's a mess :o)
Also while I was in the mood I managed to get some paint on the underside of the Hasegawa 1/48 Ju-87B that was started last year. This was more to see if I could spray anything without buggering it up and I'm very pleased to say it was successful. I sprayed around all the panel lines with Tamiya XF-63 German Grey then used Mr Hobby Aqueous colour for the undersurface blue (RLM 65) and it went on beautifully;
Hopefully I'll get it masked off tomorrow for the two-tone green upper surface colours then get the decals on. The decal sheet I have for it features a winter white scheme with a shark mouth on the nose so I'm looking forward to weathering it.