Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Albatros DIII update

Wow two updates in one day!
Anyway I received the decal sheet for the Albatros so I've masked off the model (again);

It's also given me an opportunity to fix a couple of areas that were a bit rough after the first go at painting and only showed up at the finishing stage;

The tailplane issue was caused by spraying Tamiya acrylic at too low a pressure making it look as though it had been sprayed with textured paint, the upper wing had a flaw in the primer coat that I had missed.
The colour scheme will be Werner Voss's machine (the bottom one) although it was just coincidental (honest) that an Eduard Albatros D.Va arrived the other day that would just happen to fit the colour scheme at the top;

Funny that? ;o)

T-90; Fixed it!

YAY! I managed to blend the re-sprayed area into the model;

It looks much better compared to how it looked originally;

So the bad news for my wife is that it won't be thrown out anytime soon. Ha! :o)

Tuesday, 6 January 2015

Meng T-90; First post for 2015

Here we go with 2015 and I wish you all a Happy New Year. WAS nearly finished but the issue with the colour on the right front fender was bothering me too much sooooo here's how it looked;

Even after trying to hide it with the weathering it only seemed to make it worse so bugger it I resprayed the area;

NOW it looks worse :o) This is actually the original sand colour that I mixed so it's a good example of how colours change during the weathering process and why I'm not that hung up on getting the EXACT shade of paint, near enough works for me.
I shall re-apply all the pigments, washes etc until it blends in again with the rest of the hull however I'll avoid the oil paints this time as that is what caused the problem in the first place. The oil paint dotting technique can be very effective but as I have learnt you need to choose the colours wisely, especially over light coloured areas such as this.
I'll post some pictures up later on as this bit gets attention, unless of course it all goes horribly wrong in which case you can look for it on the nearest landfill site :o)